Explorify at home
Find out how Explorify can support teachers and children with their science during school closures and periods of quarantine.
During periods of schools closing and reopening, some or most pupils may need to learn from home. We will use this blog to bring you the latest support for teachers, parents, carers and children with their home science learning.
Explorify at home is a set of collections of activities that are based on the primary science curriculum, and which are easy for parents and carers to do with their learners at home.
You can explore all of our collections here via the links below. We will update the links with further topics as we publish them.
We've created some resources to help support teachers and offer tips for your usual classroom setting. We hope you find the articles linked below useful.
Inheritance is a topic that many teachers feel a bit anxious teaching about. Read our guide and you might realise that you know a lot more than you thought you did!
Teaching about evolution can seem daunting and we worry about handling children’s ideas about this concept. But we’d like to reassure you that you know a lot more perhaps than you realise.
How best can you support your pupils' learning and development of key skills? And how can Explorify help?
During this period of school closures and phased re-opening, there is a range of excellent CPD available online from our friends at the National STEM Learning Centre.
Robbie Kirkman explores the role that learning science outdoors can play in physically-distanced learning.
Sarah Eames from Sandfield Close Primary School shares her tips on how to do assessment well.
What else can you do?
- Get involved in #ScienceFromHome on Twitter, where we have been sharing even more bite-sized activities that children can do from home – like the one in the picture above.
Be part of the Explorify community
- Teachers can join our Explorify Staffroom on Facebook for updates on new content, or to ask a question to the teaching community.
- You can also contact us at email@example.com with any requests or suggestions for Explorify at home.
Take it further
- Visit STEM Learning, to explore their support for parents and carers with home learning.
- Watch BBC Bitesize Daily. On most Wednesdays during the initial school closures, BBC Bitesize published a programme featuring science related to one of our activity collections. Links to watch these are included in our collections above. Previous programmes including versions for Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland can be found on BBC iPlayer.
We have been working with our partners in the primary science world to bring you a joined-up, quality experience and will be sharing resources on our social channels as well as on our blogs, as they become available. .
In the meantime, we hope you are all adjusting to your new routines and when you are ready to explore, we will be here to help you.
The Explorify Team
Image credit: Valeria Ushakova via Pexels CC0.
Originally published in March 2020 and updated in September 2020 and January 2021 to reflect the reopening, and reclosure, of schools.